That’s right: Spring is back! And with good weather brings fun things to do outside.
One of the most popular outdoor activities in the Spring and Summer are 5K charity races. But what’s great about today’s 5K is that their not just for serious runners and competitors anymore.
With a 5K being a little over 3 miles in length, it’s not too long for people of all ages to take part in. And you’re not even required to run.
Whether you walk, run, jog, skip, or stroll them, they’re a great way to get together with friends and family, exercise, and oftentimes support a good cause.
Here are 5 5K’s happing in Memphis in March and April:
- Neon colors. Glo sticks. 80’s music. All this combined forms the 2016 Memphis Glo Run, supporting the Mid-South Food Bank.
- WHEN: March 12
- WHERE: Shelby Farms
- TIME: 6:30 PM
- This fun run costs $31.99 for early bird registration and $60 after March 9. With signing up, participants get a neon t-shirt, GLO necklaces, and access to the post-run party. There will also be a DJ and costume party at the event.
- With a $5,800 prize and post-race awards banquet, this 5K and half marathon may intrigue you if you’re the competitive type. All proceeds benefit the Special Olympics.
- WHEN: March 13
- WHERE: Germantown Athletic Club
- TIME: 7:30 PM
- The cost for these races varies by length. For the half marathon, prices are between $40-$65, and the 5K ranges between $20-$30.
- The 2016 Fairway 5K is the kickoff event for the annual FedEx St. Jude Classic. All finishers for the event will receive a one-day pass to the golf tournament as well as a medal, and “Run Y’all” paddles will be given to the top three individual winners in each age group.
- WHEN: April 9
- WHERE: TPC Southwind
- TIME: 8 AM
- They are publicizing the event saying, “The faster you run, the faster you’ll get to the post-race party, where you can cool down with smoothies, beer, Bloody Marys, mimosas, pizza, live music and more!” The cost of the race is $35 before the event and $40 on the day.
- This family-based event is a part of a 3 day Spring festival in Collierville. During that weekend, there will be tennis, golf, and corn hole tournaments, as well as a hamburger cook-off and more.
- WHEN: April 16
- WHERE: Incarnation Church
- TIME: 9 AM
- The cost of the race is $17.50 for the 1 mile family-fun walk and $27.50 for the 5K.
- This is the 7th annual race for Autism in Memphis, benefitting the Harwood Center or Autism Resources of the Mid-South. They’re coining the event as the night to “Glow It Up Blue.”
- WHEN: April 29
- WHERE: Bluff City Sports in Cooper Young
- TIME: 7 PM
- The cost of the race is $25 beforehand and $30 on the day of.