According to U.S. Travel Association, the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) contributes to national security by protecting our nation, while also facilitating international trade and travel.
The tragic attacks in Paris last Friday, November 13th, have made many lawmakers and American citizens call into question some of the measures that enhance our homeland security, including the VWP.
Although, Roger J. Dow, President and C.E.O of the U.S. Travel Association, says that the idea of abandoning the VWP is misguided.
“With visa policies under scrutiny, it’s essential to keep security at the forefront of the discussion; however, smart, fact-based decisions are critical at moments like these…. This program is an effective, essential security tool that helps protect our nation while facilitating travel,” Dow said.
Here are a few of the essential aspects of the program:
- Pre-screening of travelers
- Greater information sharing
- Enhanced international partnerships with law enforcement and intelligence services
- More secure passports for participating countries
- Sharing of information about known or suspected terrorists and criminals with U.S. authorities
Learn more about the VWP here: Visa Waiver Program Facts